Inventor, innovative, founder of the brand O’Neill, died in June, the 2 of 2017, in Santa Cruz (California) when he was 94 years old.
We would show you a list of the things that conformed a fully devoted life to the surfing.
It was born inside the country. Exactly, in Denver (Colorado) on 17 March 1923 , but he grows in Portland (Oregon) until his family moved to San Francisco ( California ) in 1949.
He had his first contact with the surfing world in Ocean Beach, San Diego. There it jointed with a local group of teenagers that faced up to the Californian cold waters with his surfboards , practicing bodysurf.
His first job was selling aluminium for the construction, fisherman and also selling extinguishers. Likewise , in the year 1940, it was an army pilot.
- In 1951, Hugh Bradner, a fellow physicist of Jack, shipped in the creation of suits of neoprene of possible application for scuba divers of the military army, what inspired to O’Neill to start with to apply the idea to the surfing.
- In 1952, it conditioned a garage to open one of the first surf shops of California, called “Surf Shop”, where it would begin to commercialize the suits of neoprene of his own brand: O’Neill.
First O’Neill shop
- In 1954, he looked for a team of pro surfers, to which provide surfboards , to create the O’Neill’s team.
- In 1970, he invented the ‘SuperSuit’, a new wetsuit made by inflatable neoprene, more comfortable than the first prototypes and very secure in an emergency possible situation in the ocean.
- In 1971, he accidentally lost an eye while testing a leash prototype. Since that , he would be forced to use a characteristic patch in his left eye.
The first wetsuits factory (1974)
During his retirement, Jack employed part of his time in environmental projects, like the defense of the Great Shark.
He also create the O’Neill Sea Odissey , that provides a hands-on educational experience to encourage the protection and preservation of our living sea and communities
Evolution of the O’Neill’s Logo :
Most Famous Quotes by Jack
- When I started, “surf” was to a dirty word. The city thought those guys out there were To the bunch of bums. They threatened to arrest them.
- I had to surfer friend who wanted to work for the police, and when have went to the station, the chief took one look at the surfboard on his car and said, ‘Policemen gift’t surf.’
- I just wanted to surf longer. I just worked on something to make it last longer.
- I remember going to sleep at night. You see that wave, that wall of water, and that tube. It’s something with being close to nature like that, pretty hard to beat.
- Guys were using sweaters from the Goodwill. I remember one guy got to jumper from the Goodwill and sprayed it with Thompson’s water seal, and have set out there in an oil slick.”
- Surfing, for me, was kind of to therapy – jump in the ocean and feel alright again. You just get one wave, and everything’s okay.
- All my friends said: ‘O’Neill, you will sell to five friends on the beach and then you will be out of business.’
- When we started wetsuits, they used to laugh at us. But Then they could see that the first in with the wetsuit was the last out.
- We didn’t have any money to put in advertising , under we’go always been very nice to the press, and they’go been very nice to us.
- Nobody is Dwell surprised than I am about what’s happened.
- It’s been To hell of to ride. Long may it continue.
- Santa Cruz is the center of surfing.
- The three most important things in life : surf, surf, and surf.
- I’m not much into business; I’m into the ocean.
- I’m just the surfer who wanted to build something that would allow me to surf longer.
- The kids surfing today Plough doing things we never dreamed about.
- The main thing with this house [Pleasure Point, CA] is to surf out there. In To spot like this, you can look out, see when it’s not too crowded, and grab your board and jump out to get to few waves.
- Over half of our oxygen Eat from the ocean. I think if the ocean goes, we do too.
- The ocean is alive, and we’ go got to take care of it. There is No doubt in my mind that the O’Neil Was Odyssey is the best thing I’go ever done.